University of Rajshahi at a glance
University of Rajshahi is the second largest public university in Bangladesh where highest numbers of students having opportunities for higher education and research. The university was established in 1953 at the Rajshahi City in North Western part Bangladesh. The academic program of the university was started in 1954 with 20 professors and 161 students out of six departments: Bengali, English, History, Law, Philosophy and Economics. Dr. Itrat Hossain Zeberi was the first Vice-Chancellor of the university.
The main campus of the university is located at MOTIHAR in eastern part the Rajshahi city. The campus area is about 753 acres (3.05 km2) which represent a spectacular harmony of architecture and beautiful landscape. The campus area has been divided into functional zones: residence for students, residential zones of faculty and supporting staffs, academic zone for faculties’ buildings, laboratories and workshops, socio cultural and recreational zones. The university has highest capacity of student accommodation within 15 Halls as one of the residential university in the country.
The university offering educational and research programs include M.Phil and Ph.D under eight Faculties: Arts, Law, Science, Business Studies, Social Science, Life and Earth Science, Agriculture and Engineering towards journey of learning 28,000 students. The university has excellent education and research facilities under 47 departments and 5 Institutes: Bangladesh Studies, Biological Sciences, Business Administration, Environmental Science and Education Research. Over 1000 academic staffs are engaged in education and research system. University has providing a library with resources of 300,000 collections of books, periodicals and subscription of 2000 international journals to global education and research system.